Thursday, January 21, 2010

I've got homeschool burnout. Ya know that saying, "If you want to get something done right, do it yourself."?  I want to get a lot of things done, and I can't find people to delegate to.  Sometimes it's simply a matter of taking my turn and doing some things.  Either way, I've got a lot on my plate and I'm tired and discouraged.  Today.  One of the first things about homeschooling you must realize is that you will always have days like I'm having today.  What causes them and what do you do about it? 

What causes homeschool burnout?  I have four teenagers at home, all homeschooling.  Three of them play basketball, which involved miles and miles of driving to practices and games.  And of course the socialization time after the game at the nearest McD's. (I recently had to teach a homeschool mom who is new to homeschool basketball that 'basketball' had nothing to do with 'basketball . . .' it's all about socialization!) I am a full-time college student myself, and this semester is really icky:  Literature, Biology and Algebra, and I am already behind in all of them!  How depressing!  I have two boys in Boy Scouts who are both approaching Eagle.  The troop is having trouble functioning, I complained and guess what - I received two new jobs:  Merit Badge Coordinator AND Advancement Chairman.  I teach a high school class once a week at my church, as well as substitute on Sundays.  I play the piano for the church choir and our new choir director is very ambitious.  She has chosen a piece that will require lots of effort from me.  I volunteered to chair the local Homeschool History Fair.  (Perhaps that will be another post!)  I have one child in braces so that means a trip to the orthodontist at least once a month.   And I have an undiagnosed foot pain, so there will be doctor's appointments in my future.  Laundry, cooking, cleaning - what's that?  (Actually, those are some areas I can delegate - we call it "Home Ec." - perhaps there's a homeschooling blog post in there somewhere, too!)  Gosh, as I read back over all that, I'm shocked.  No wonder I'm tired today!  (And my foot hurts.)

I suspect, if you were to itemize everything you do in your life, it would look similar to mine.  I certainly do not corner the market in over-achieving.  However, if you have not begun homeschooling, you may wonder where you will find the time to add homeschooling to your life.  Try this:  instead of thinking about homeschooling, think about life education.  Everything on my list transfers to education and experience for each of my children.  They see me setting an example in dedication, commitment (not the insanity kind, although . . . ), loyalty, personal management (that's a Boy Scout merit badge), priority setting . . .  add your words onto the comment page below.  And share with us your busy schedule, too.  It will help all of us to know we are not alone.

What to do about homeschool burnout?  There are lots of strategies, some probably better than other.  Right now I just want to take a nap.  Since I have to leave for basketball practice and algebra class, though, I guess I'll wash my hair instead.  It is very important on hectic days and busy periods of your life to step back and look for the big picture.  If a child does not learn the letter "F" today, it will not effect their college application.  Just teach it tomorrow. 


When life gets too busy, re-evaluate.  Do the children have to involved in so many extra-curricular activities?  Do they have to take all the lessons they are taking now, or could one be eliminated?  My children truly need basketball, for socialization, for self-confidence, for goal-setting, for self-discipline, for physical education, etc.  It is a huge sacrifice for me and the entire family, but we consider it to be necessary.  On the other hand, we do not do any lessons, at least not currently.  We have dappled in a variety of lessons in the past as a way to screen their personal interests and talents. 

Some activities can be delegated, like the housework.  I have a partner on the History Fair and she is a big help.  I will also enlist a few moms as the day draws near for small things, like setting up, taking down, and finding donated prizes from local retailers. 

I could drop down to part-time college, but my financial aid grants require me to be a full-time student.  All I can do there is the best I can do.  It is perfectly okay if I do not get straight A's.  I need C's to keep my financial aid, so that's how I prioritize my study time and assignment effort.  Since I've taken that pressure off myself, it's been reasonably easy to get A's and B's - I haven't received a C yet!  (Shameless plug - sometimes we have to pat ourselves on the back!!) 

I hope you are seeing that nobody is perfect, and no schedule will go uninterrupted.  You do not have to be Super Woman.  You only have to do the best you can do today.  Sometimes that just means putting homeschool away for the day, and going to the park!!!  You have my permission to do that.  And please, share your busy life, and if you are already homeschooling, share with us how you handle burnout days.

No comments:

Post a Comment