Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Why?  I guess this should have been the first post.  You are probably wondering why we chose to homeschool, why others have chosen it, and why you should or shouldn't.  I can't speak for everyone, although I can say that there are as many reasons to homeschool as there are families.  Some choose to home-educate their children for religious reasons.  Others for health or political reasons.  Many families just want to keep the family together and not delegate what they consider to be their parental duty or right to others.  That is all very general.  You might fall into one or more of those categories or have reasons completely different.  All of the reasons are right and none of them are wrong.  My family falls into several of those categories.

It all began long before I was a parent and happend to read a few books by The Moore's - Raymond and Dorothy to be exact.  http://www.homeschool.com/advisors/moore/default.asp

That planted a seed in my head and heart that grew.  Later we were foster parents, and one of our children had problems (she was 5).  In my mind, the ABC's paled in comparison to her emotional stability.  I asked for, and received permission to homeschool her.  That move actually set a precedent in that county - they had never had a foster child home-schooled before.  Since I had to report to the State, I chose the Christian Liberty Press curriculum - a boxed set (see previous post) - and requested the school to keep records.  That was the first reason we chose home-schooling - to assist foster children in bonding with a family and to gain self-confidence and emotional stability. 



We had some foster children in public school and ran head-long into the homosexual agenda and the sex education agenda.  Our second grader brought a book home from school that told a story about two men raising some children.  Our high schooler was required to attend sex education, which was not abstinence based, or sit out and do an outside project.  We opted out, and helped him do a pro-life paper.  We were not in a position to remove these particular children from the public school, but it did open our eyes.  We did not want our children to be indoctrinated with the social reform agenda, and we became more committed than ever to homeschooling when we had children of our own. 

During this time, I observed a lot of mothers of 5 year olds lamenting because it was time to send their child away to school and they just weren't ready.  I began to ask the question, first of myself and then to others:  Why did we have to 'send our five year olds away?'   Who said?  What would happen if we didn't?  When I asked this question of myself, I began doing more research on homeschooling and compulsory edcuation laws in my state.  http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp  I quickly learned I did not HAVE to send my child away.  When I asked the question of others, I often got blank stares and the response, "Well, because that's what we do.  They have to go to school.  They are five!"  Not following the crowd like a sheep was a completely foregin concept to these women.  And they all cried on the first day of school.  Not me - I played outside with my children and we had a lot of fun!!! 

Religion has been a reason for us in the context that we believe religion is incorporated in everything we do, and that is how we teach.  Not so in public schools.  Not only is God not acknolwedged, He is forbidden to attend.  That does not set well with us.  As you are figuring what you want to do, and how you want to do it, I encourage you to seek out homeschoolers that share your faith or domination, and ask them for curriculum recommendations.  If religion is a non-issue for you, and you actually want to avoid it, there are many homeschool curriculums and programs that are completely secular. 

Politics!  Is one supposed to adhere to the rule not to speak of religion and politics while writing a blog post?  I have already broken half of that rule; here goes the second half!!!  We have somewhat passionate views politically, and suffice it to say they are not in keeping with the government education program.  We literally call public schools "Government Schools."  We do not want our children indoctrinated with the government's ideals and values, one because we do not agree with them and two, because we do not feel education is within the government's authority granted to it in the Constitution.  We believe in parental choice in education, http://www.heritage.org/Research/Features/issues/issuearea/ParentalChoice.cfm.  Again, whether you are liberal or conservative, you can share your values with your children any way you want!!!! 

Now the biggest question of all:  Why do YOU want to homeschool?  When you answer that question for yourself, you will be in a better position to figure out the 'how." 


No comments:

Post a Comment