Friday, January 15, 2010

Is homeschooling overwhelming?  You bet!  I hope this post doesn't talk you out of educating your own children!  It is one o'clock in the morning.  Early today, yesterday now, I drove my 16 year old daughter to her job at eight o'clock in the morning.  When I returned home, after dropping off the mortgage payment, I helped a son with a map lesson, nagged a daughter to do her assignments, and tutuored another son with some algebra problems.  In the meantime I was keeping our wood-burning stove going, making a huge pot of taco soup, putting a ham in the crock pot, and cleaning up after a new puppy.  I went back to town around two o'clock to pick up the working daughter.  I did some computer work, some of my own college homework, checked my blogs and e:mail, and continued to monitor the children's school work, keep the fire going, and clean up after the puppy.  After making sure everyone had eaten, again!, organizing the basketball stat sheets for the team, and making sure the uniforms were in the van, I drove the kids to a game.  I had an algebra class tonight, so I had to drop them off, and miss the game myself.  (They won both games - go figure!)  After class, I met up with the team at the local McD's and heard all about the game second hand.  I was also able to grab some valuable 'talking with grownups' time.  We made it home around eleven o'clock, had family scripture reading and family prayer, and after all was semi-quiet, I completed one of my own algebra assignments.  And I caught up on e:mails.  And I worked on the grant application for our homeschool history fair.  And I scheduled a couple of sleepovers.  I seem to remember kissing my husband sometime during the day.

Is this a typical homeschool day?  Define typical.  It seems to be the way our life is going these days, although it is always busier during basketball season.  A schedule like this would be absolutely not acceptable to many homeschool families.  Others would wonder why I try to do so much.  Again, homeschooling correctly is whatever works best for your family.  To help you figure out what might work for your family, let's discuss the pros and cons of this chaotic day of mine.

I suppose the cons are apparent.  I'm tired.  And if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.  But I am happy tonight.  I provided a lot of service to those who are my highest priority.  But then that's a pro . . . Back to the cons.  We have little structure.  We used to.  We don't now.  The kids sleep in a lot!  It is not unusual for them to sleep until noon. (You know those cute little smiley face icons that are blushing in embarassment?  Imagine one of those here.)  That really bothers a lot of people.  Apparently there is a rule written down somewhere that says all children must get up early in the morning.  Why?  I certainly don't get up unless I have to.  One potential or perceived problem with homeschooling is that there is no reason to get up on time because school can be done anytime, anywhere.  I, on the other hand, view that as a pro - school can be done anytime and anywhere!  It is very portable and very flexible.  Oops - I did it again, got my cons mixed up with my pros.  Let's try another con . . .

I spent a lot of time driving and spending gasoline today.  That is a definite con.  However, that's a consequence of our choice to live a rural lifestyle.  I could tell the children no more often, but they are all in their teens and getting together with friends has become very important to them.  Social opportunities also gives them motivation for completing their assignments.  Another con turned into a pro. 

I guess I just cannot see the bad about homeschooling, even after a busy day like this, which completely overwhelms me.  I enjoy being with my kids.  I enjoy serving them and making them happy.  I enjoy watching them progress in their academics and their athletics.  I enjoy watching them socialize and learn the in's and out's of friendships. 

Bottom line - yes, you will often be overwhelmed.  But so what?  On those days, do what I am going to do in the next few minutes - go take a buble bath!!

Home School Burnout: What It Is. What Causes It. and How to Overcome It
Rx for Mother Burnout: Learn a Style Approach to Success

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed looking over your blog
    God bless you

    ReplyDelete