Saturday, January 9, 2010

Socialization . . . sigh.  Why am I sighing?  Several reasons.  I guess I'm just tired of this question coming up, because when it is given any rational consideration, it becomes obvious how ludicrous the question truly is.  Are students 'socialized' in public school, when they are told where to sit, when to talk, and mostly told to be quiet?  Are you sure you want your child to be 'socialized' by the public school, i.e. government school system?  How's that going?  Another reason I sigh is because socialization is all we ever seem to do!!!!!!

My children/students that remain at home are 14, 15, 16, & 17 years old.  Against all of my well-intentioned plans, friends have become very important.  I am entering this post as I sit in the food court of the local mall, having driven for an hour picking up friends, while some kids walk the mall (did I ever enjoy doing that?) and some others see a movie - SOCIALIZATION.  It is a Saturday, a day to get ready for Sunday.  A day to sleep in, sleep some more, bake, cook and clean.  Grade school work and make more lesson plans.  Knit.  Watch TV/DVD - MY favorite shows.  Ahhhh the sacrifices a home-school mom makes!  Last night we had 3 basketball games, after which we went out to eat with the team - SOCIALIZATION - and brought a couple of extra boys home for a sleepover -SOCIALIZATION.  At the same time, one of my daughters was at yet another sleepover - SOCIALIZATION.  The night before that, we had baskeball practice (I take it back, socialization is not ALL we do - there's basketball!)  My boys went home with friends for a sleepover, wait for it . . .  SOCIALIZATION!!!!!!  Am I making my point?  Socializing homeschoolers does not have to be a problem.



But you live out in the country, right?  Far away from town?  From activities?  From people?  Me, too!  It is 10 miles to the nearest town, 30 miles to our co-op 'headquarters,' and most basketball activities.  Some people could buy a house for what we spend on gasoline.  And the time it takes to do all that driving . . . put a Book on Tape in the CD player. 




















We drive to the aforementioned basketball practice and games.  We sometimes drive two hours to attend a game, as it is difficult to find other homeschool teams and Christian school teams to play against.  (It is againts the public school rules for them to play us . . .  cowards!)  We practice twice a week and play a game or two each week.  We attend the National Homeschool Basketball Tournament each March.  I bet you didn't know there was a National  Homeschool Basketball Tournament!!!  It is soooo much fun, we wouldn't miss it.


We drive to co-op, once a week for 8 weeks, for two semesters.  My children have had classes on Macbeth, Animal Farm, boy scout merit badges, Japan, clay sculpture, and Homemaking for Boys.  I am teaching two classes in our next semester:, pre-school animals and driver's ed!!  Yikes!!!

Our co-op has a student council, a graduation committee (yes the graduates walk down the aisle!) and a prom committee.  I am heading up this year's history fair and there is an annual science fair.  This is all in addition to the recreational activities:  park day, roller skating, bowling, Valentine's Party, Christmas Party . . . and it never ends.  And I haven't mentioned church or family activities.

The only problem homeschoolers have with socialization is the amount of it and how it can crowd out academics.  Don't worry - your children wil have lots of friends and be "properly socialized" - whatever that means to you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment